Friday, November 13, 2009

Highlights - salon or home?

I have medium brown hair and I want to add blonde highlights. Is this something I can do at home, or should I go to a salon? I know it is possible to do it at home because they sell they highlighting kits, but is it a good idea? I have dyed my hair plenty of times before, but I have never lightened it. I am leaning towards going to a salon, but my sister said that it would be a waste of money. What do you think? Does anyone have any experience with highlighting brown hair? Thanks in advance.



Highlights - salon or home?

go to the salon if its your first time highlighting it, you'll be more happy with the results if its PROFESSIONALLY done!...unless you know someone that is experienced with it that can do it for you at home



Highlights - salon or home?

I have medium brown hair and use colour expert. It works perfectly and the blonde highlights really came through and didn't make me look freaky but blended very nicely!! I highly recommend it.



Highlights - salon or home?

if you're doing your whole head - then definately do it at home and save the cash. but highlights - well that you should go to the salon for, they take more precsion, and the stylist have done 'em a hell of a lot more



Highlights - salon or home?

The problem with "home highlighting" is that the streaks sometime get to wide or spotty. If you have a friend or someone who is patient they could do it for you-the secret to good highlights is small streaks. I think I would invest the money the first time and have a salon do it-pay attention to HOW she does it and ask questions then you might feel more comfortable doing it at home!



Highlights - salon or home?

I have medium brown hair as well and I always go to the salon. They match the proper shade from colour wheels to complement my hair, they did such a great job that the last time I got red foils too, trust me salons know best..you pay for it of course but the outcome is ohhlaa



Highlights - salon or home?

Look you can do it yourself, but it may look a little cheap depending on how its done. Give it a go if you want you can always dye ur hair back if it doenst work out. Buy a higlighting kit (make sure its a good brand like L'oreal or something). Get someone to FOLLOW the instructions exactly.



Highlights - salon or home?

Yes. I've colored my hair myself for YEARS. Then I tried one



of those "easy, do it yourself highlight kits" and BOY was



that a mistake. I followed the directions exactly, but the



hair around the strands I was streaking took the color too.



It looked so bad, I had to just dye it all the same color



again. Splurge and go to a good salon.



Highlights - salon or home?

to be on the safe side i would say go to a salon..the highlighting kits you buy at the store do not last as long and your shampoo or even your water can fade the color quickly and/or turn it to a brassy color. if you what your highlights to be noticeable, leave it to the professionals



Highlights - salon or home?

well at a salon they can do it PERFECLTY!! if you do it at home there is a chance you can make a mistake.



Highlights - salon or home?

Yes -- my hair is brown. I went to a salon first and got them started. When you are going up from a brown to a blond, it's helpful to have a pro do it for you -- separating each strand, and coloring them only every so often.



After you get them started, i think that you can do it yourself. I tried color expert, but it didn't take it blonde enough. (Ended up brassy). I then tried L-oreal excellence. It's meant for all-over color, but i pul my hair through a cap and apply the color that way.



Highlights - salon or home?

I have medium brown hair and have been having blonde highlights, I go to Famous Hair and they use a color called banana, It actually smells like bananas and the color goes well with my hair!



Highlights - salon or home?

SALON DONT TAKE THE RISK as they say you get what you pay for



Highlights - salon or home?

i had mine done in a salon and it was worth it despite the fact that later the highlights did damage the hair.......not that this is to discourage u but i would go to a salon.....highlighting is different to dyeing



Highlights - salon or home?

Do not do it at home! The highlighting kits are terrible, and I don't know how anyone could do it themselves. If you want it to be natural-looking, you need to go to a salon. Heck, if you want it to be good-looking, you need to go to a salon.



Highlights - salon or home?

my mother is a hair stylist and i have learned alot from her. plus i have went through the whole walmart in home coloring before also. i would not suggest the in home coloring b/c if you either leave it on to long or not leave it on long enough it could not turn the right color suck as orange or a yucky yellow or you could fry your hair. the home coloring kits tell you to leave it on for a certain amount of time but with people having different colors of hair and some peoples hair takes longer or shorter amount of time i just would not trust them.



Highlights - salon or home?

i tried highlighting my medium brown hair with an at home highlight kit that would supposedly give me blonde highlights. my hair ended up having brassy orange color streaks. unless your hair is almost blonde I wouldnt risk highlighting it at home



Highlights - salon or home?

Let the salon do your hair.It will look more natural than if you try to do it. Tiny strands have to be pulled through a cap all over your head.I've done it before and it is a pain and the color didn't turn out like I wanted it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment